As genealogists all of us have stone walls: may be any right time, destination or location. There's absolutely no one solution for re re re solving an end that is dead our lineage. Every issue has to be approached differently. Since most documents in many areas and cycles are focused around males, we frequently have actually just a very first title of a spouse, or usually, no title after all. We simply understand she ended up being the spouse of Thomas Jones. To fix this kind of dilemma we should figure out the time, location and circumstances in accordance with our feminine ancestor. We should lay the groundwork for attacking the situation in a way that is special.
Probably the most way that is straightforward strike such a challenge is always to produce a schedule of her life. Collect all information understood about her. If not much is well known, concentrate on her husband. Where had been they whenever, from wedding as well as delivery, into the time they had kids, into the close of the everyday lives.
1. Search for the marriage record it self. Get the marriage record that is original. The wedding licence or application could be more valuable compared to the initial. In surrounding areas, or check various marriage indexes if you can’t find the marriage, seek it.
2. Always check all records that are possible spouse getting clues to simply help figure out whom she had been.
3. If ancestor fought into the military, check retirement papers for the widow. Military retirement Papers important, specially if spouse outlived husband. Best for Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Union Civil War, Spanish-American War, Indian Wars, etc.
Ancestry.com has Union Pension Papers. A lady needed to show that she ended up being legal spouse and widow of soldier. Refused Pension Applications usually contain much more details than accepted people.
4. Land records, deeds., homestead documents or any other court documents might provide wife’s name that is first and even her maiden title. Land Records: One of major sources for determining name that is maiden. They are perhaps perhaps perhaps not useful in big metropolitan areas or if perhaps the grouped family rented. If guy passed away with out a might, their estate that is real had be split among heirs. Included all young young ones, also daughters with married names. See them in grantor-grantee indexes. Court Records Test.
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts Court of Sessions of Peace 26 Dec 1710
Rachel Codury of Marblehead seems and confessed herself accountable of ye
criminal activity of fornication with Andrew Tucker Jr. Of Marblehead.
5. Immerse yourself in most the documents of this area. Learn other families, specially her husband’s family members, their career, socio-economic status, etc. Did spouse go usually, or result from a well-established group of the location? Did he cope with folks of other surnames? He might been employed by along with his wife’s dad, so learn with who he previously company transactions. Whom did he purchase and to/from/with sell land? Don’t just concentrate on the partners. Broaden your search. Just just exactly What occurred to your young ones? Possibly another descendant has information.
6. Trace your family in most census that is possible. US or Canadian censuses, particularly 1841 or 1851 and soon after. Husband’s sis married in nj-new jersey, therefore check always N.J. and also you will dsicover his wedding here aswell. Census: U.S. 1790-1930 could possibly get access to most returns that are census line. 1940 or later on can be had for the charge.
Uk census 1911, 1921 may also be searched by communication.
Canada through 1901; FamilySearch 1880 and 1881 census
Old girl coping with family members in census, could be mother-in-law. Look for her DC
7. Always check personal documents: your own personal household documents and records, household Bibles, etc.
8. The wedding might not have already been recorded anywhere that endures, particularly if in N.Y., PA, Southern States, or any frontier. Even a wedding in brand brand New England might not survive.
9. As soon as a lady had been widowed, she became mind of this home. She turn to act as a surety in a bond or witness to land transaction when she needs assistance as a single woman or a widow, who will? She will probably head to her brothers or dad in your community. Names on legal papers working with a widow might be her family members.
10. Sources to check on to find her title:
a. Church records
HENRY IRISH IMMIGRATED FROM BRITISH ISLES TO NYC IN 1819. HE LIVED IN NYC AND QUEENS. 1850 CENSUS STATED EACH HE AND WIFE BORN ENGLAND. LOST TABS ON FAMILY IN 1920’S. DISCOVERED A COUSIN INTERESTED. DISCOVER WHAT SHE KNOWS CONCERNING THE IRISHES. A LARGE was had by her PULPIT BIBLE WHICH CLAIMED:
HENRY & ANN IRISH MARRIED 1 JAN 1807 KINGSTON, PORTSEA, ENGLAND. HENRY WAS SON OF JOSEPH AND SARAH (LANGE) IRISH. HENRY CAME TO BE 15 NOV 1787 AT HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE. ANN IRISH WAS DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND MARY (REED) HILL, BORN PORTSMOUTH, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
GENEALOGICAL EPIPHANY. ! It struggled to obtain David Dearborn, it might do the job. Seek family members and bibles on Web, etc.
c. Newspaper notices of wedding, delivery, death, going, etc.
Montrose Democrat, PA. 9 Apr 1873
Hitched at Franklin township, Susquehanna, PA 28 Mar 1873, Henry Dearborn to skip Cordelia Annis, child of Mr. Robert Seamans (just source of marriage for that right time frame). 24. Private Documents
d. Personal journals, diaries, letters in family’s possession, etc. Families have actually records, MS or printed. Samplers – cross-stitch and needlepoint, Asia ink or watercolor. Includes Family Group, parents and children’s names, delivery times, view of household farm.
Banton Family (masonic rock symbols)
Samuel Banton (passed away, age) md. Rebecca Gilham (died and age)
ag ag e. Gravestones or cemetery documents. Took 30 years to even find the parents after discovered the death rock. Found descendants a few generations later on to obtain required information.
Esther spouse of William Barth passed away Feb 28, 1832 age 78 years
child of Thomas and Tabitha Barlow of England
Had currently traced William Barlow to Esther Bantin. Rock stated, “Esther Barlow had three or four kids.”
f. Death certification of a lady needs to have her name that is maiden on, in addition to her moms and dads’ names and birthplaces. Her husband’s death certificates needs to have her maiden name. Her children’s death certificates additionally could have her maiden name. Her children’s wedding documents additionally might have it. Civil or public record information, as an example, California Death Index: Pembrook Banton passed away 1940 in Ca. Marital Reputation: Divorced. Searched divorces and discovered them. Divorce papers suggested:
Hitched in Dubuque, Iowa 14 Mar 1887
We never ever knew they ever lived in Iowa. Their siblings additionally had been present in Iowa.
g. Obituaries of spouse, spouse or loved ones.
Brand New Hampshire Morning Star, Dover, N.H.
Died in Jackson, N.H. 16 Dec 1850 Mrs. Martha, spouse of Moses Anderson and youngest child of Mr. George and Mrs. Catherine Johnson, aged 17 years 8 months. She left a kid child. (Death certificate will not provide any of this info. Obit much more valuable)
h. Divorce records: often give wife’s maiden name, or inform where so when hitched. May inform in which from
i. Probate record of her daddy or her brothers. You might need certainly to read all wills within the county to find out her title. Probates could be published, indexed and abstracted . New Hampshire has all wills published and abstracted with an every title index. NH State Papers, vol. 31-39.
11. Prepared or published Indexes:
NEHGS has CD along with information inside their number of bibles.
13. Other Sources to locate name that is maiden
There are numerous sources, documents and methodologies for locating a name that is maiden.
*Your ancestor would not appear away from nowhere. Had a full life and lived somewhere ahead of wedding.
*When ancestor married her family members didn’t disappear completely – they probably are now living in the area that is same.
*Learn in regards to the area: history, topography, faith,
*There is not any guarantee we're going to find maiden title. We look and appearance, look for recommendations and sources and methods to approach a challenge.
*Look during the family that is whole all kiddies, siblings, of spouse. The spouses could have hitched siblings of 1 another. Seek residing descendants, bibles, death certification of loved ones, to resolve a maiden name problem.
Allen, Donna Murray, “12 approaches to Find an Ancestor’s Maiden Name, Family Chronicle, 7:1 (Sept/Oct 2002);62
Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo, A Genealogist’s help guide to Discovering Your ancestors that are femaleCincinnati: Betterway Books, 1998).
Deerborn, David C., “Methods to spot a Wife’s Maiden Name,” The Essex Genealogist, 12 (1992):3-15
Dollarhide, William, “Identifying Female Ancestors: Some Case Records,” Heritage Quest, 17:3 (May/June 2001):8-17.
Hogan, Roseann R.. “Female Ancestry,” Ancestry, 12:2 (March/April 1994): 26-28.
NEHGS Lectures on Tape