What type of help does the Postdoctoral Fellowships system offer?
What type of help does the Postdoctoral Fellowships system offer?
Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help to a core of the very most promising scientists at a time that is pivotal their jobs. The fellowships may also be meant to secure an availability of very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal government and organizations.
Will you be entitled to a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, as of the deadline date regarding the in which you apply, you must year:
- be considered A canadian resident or a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to carry a doctorate in another of the industries of research that NSERC supports.
- You are able to apply just once towards the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per 12 months to 1 granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC). You must certainly not have previously gotten a postdoctoral prize (including a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You need to have finished all needs of the degree that is doctoral no than 2 yrs ahead of the deadline date of the season in which you apply.
Note: This isn't the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but alternatively the date upon which all of the needs of the level had been met, such as the defence that is successful distribution of this corrected copy of the thesis. The completion date of your most recent doctoral degree will be used to determine your eligibility for applicants with more than one doctoral degree.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have acquired at least six months of full-time relevant employment in industry or government (experience in an institution or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories will not be considered.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you'd your job considerably interrupted as a result of infection or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- When you yourself have completed a non-research based medical residency system when you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility period to three years.
- If, within two years after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you'd your job dramatically interrupted as a result of parental, medical and/or responsibilities that are family-related NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of conclusion of one's PhD, you feel the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a young child, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to six years.
- If you should be susceptible to a prolonged eligibility duration, then you can be expected by NSERC to give you more information and/or supporting paperwork. Any such distribution to NSERC will simply be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility towards the system. Should you want to notify the review committee of delays and/or circumstances which will have impacted your performance and/or efficiency, then you can achieve this into the Special Circumstances element of the application form.
Where could you hold your fellowship?
You are able to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other research that is appropriate in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You can not hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal government laboratories or in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages one to undertake research that requires collaboration along with other Canadian companies. The type associated with proposed collaboration must be appropriate towards the host organization.
- You might hold a PDF abroad as long as you have got gotten your doctorate from a Canadian organization.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining experience of various research surroundings. You aren't allowed to keep your fellowship during the institution that is sameor its affiliated hospitals, research organizations as well as other laboratories) for which you received your doctorate. Nonetheless, you may request an exclusion that'll be considered because of the selection committee. The demand must certanly be predicated on medical reasons (for instance, proximity to required health care facilities), family members reasons (as an example, a partner's job) or medical reasons (for instance, accessibility to specific gear), which will make it very difficult so that you can keep a specific organization. Even when your exclusion is awarded, you're not allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You may be motivated to add a alternative location for your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion just isn't authorized.
- You may perhaps maybe not support the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, even when your manager modifications research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may impact your residency status in Canada. You could desire to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How can you use?
It is possible to make an application for a PDF by doing and Form that is submitting 201 attaching supporting documents if required. Browse the directions on the best way to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must receive the job electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on October 17. Incomplete applications will undoubtedly be refused.
Except for individual email address, NSERC will maybe not accept any noticeable modifications or updates to the application after it's been submitted. Individual contact information might be updated by giving a contact to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application in accordance with the selection requirements described within the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools. observe that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing award concern to meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a lady, if adequate funds become available. The choice committees are arranged in line with the after broad discipline groups:
- Civil and engineering that is industrial
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Ecology and evolution
- Cellular and biology that is molecular
- Plant and animal biology
The research topic code (see listing of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined regarding the application will determine the choice committee where the application will likely be assessed. NSERC may designate the applying to a committee that is different it determines that the topic matter is much more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard resistant to the possibility for unconscious bias influencing the decision-making procedure, whether these biases depend on a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, particular sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including growing people), size or standing of an organization, age, gender and/or other individual facets of this applicant.
NSERC is functioning on evidence that equity, variety and addition fortify the medical and engineering communities therefore the quality, social relevance and impact of research. Candidates should reference concerns 5 to 7 when you look at the Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, variety and addition in the application to find out more.
A of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs which provides useful information on what committee members look for in assessing applications in preparing their application, applicants should consult the Selection criteria and indicators section and Appendix. Applicants must also read the Instructions for finishing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are selected and evaluated based on:
- Analysis ability and potential(70%)
- Correspondence, interpersonal and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
January NSERC will notify all applicants of the results by the end of. NSERC will perhaps not provide outcomes by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (along with other fundamental award information) of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To find out more, start to see the usage of Ideas Act additionally the Privacy Act.
Conditions associated with the prize
Relate to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about holding the prize, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental holding the honor on a part-time foundation, etc.